In order to use the Windows Certificate Authority to issue Smart Card certificates to users, you must have the following:
- Microsoft Windows Server is installed (2008, 2012, 2016, SBS)
- The server is configured, has Active Directory Services installed and has been promoted to a Domain Controller
- The DNS server is configured with the correct domain name
- Microsoft Windows Certificate Services installed in Enterprise mode
- A client PC joined to the domain to be used as an enrollment station with a smart card reader and the PIVKey Admin software installed.
NOTE: It is especially important the the DNS is configured correctly, otherwise the client PCs will not be able to find the required Certificate Revocation List (CRL).
For additional information, see Setting up the Windows Environment.